Kittson County Historical Society

Kittson profiles and photos from the past and present

I have one direct ancestor and one indirect ancestor that lived in Kittson County, and I'd like to find out more about them.

My great-grandfather was Tomas Torstensen Talseth and he immigrated from Norway in 1903.  As far as I can tell, he was in Kittson County from 1903 until about 1907.  On his immigration papers he listed going to Hallock to wife's nephew, Adolph Brevik.  His wife and sons joined him in 1905 or '06.

It looks like Adolph was in Kittson county from about 1889 (or at least in Minnesota), until his death in Karlstad in about 1973.  He also lived in Spring Brook.  He was born in Norway in about 1881.

If anyone has any info on who Adolph's parents were, that would be wonderful.  I have a book of the Norwegian family, but I can't figure out where Adolph fits in. 

Views: 76

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do cemetery indexes for Kittson County and Adolph's mother, Marian Johana Brevik, is buried at Oslo Lutheran Cemetery in Springbrook Twp., Kittson County, Minnesota. Marian Johana was born 22 Sept 1843 and died 1 January 1912. The source of this information was the Oslo Lutheran Church records of interment, her Minnesota death certificate and the 1910 census records. The death certificate did not name her parents. There is also a Johan S. Brevik buried there. This could be her husband. I do not know for sure. Johan S. Brevik was born 5 January 1820 and died 18 July 1903. [Information is from the gravestone] Maybe it would help if you contacted someone in the Brevik family and ask them. You can contact me at marcyj@invisimax.com if you have further questions. Marcy Johnson, Hallock, MN

Thanks so much for the information.  Do you know of anyone in the Brevik family I could contact?

Marcy Johnson said:

I do cemetery indexes for Kittson County and Adolph's mother, Marian Johana Brevik, is buried at Oslo Lutheran Cemetery in Springbrook Twp., Kittson County, Minnesota. Marian Johana was born 22 Sept 1843 and died 1 January 1912. The source of this information was the Oslo Lutheran Church records of interment, her Minnesota death certificate and the 1910 census records. The death certificate did not name her parents. There is also a Johan S. Brevik buried there. This could be her husband. I do not know for sure. Johan S. Brevik was born 5 January 1820 and died 18 July 1903. [Information is from the gravestone] Maybe it would help if you contacted someone in the Brevik family and ask them. You can contact me at marcyj@invisimax.com if you have further questions. Marcy Johnson, Hallock, MN

I do not know any descendants of Adolph but his son Willard married Agnes Spilde. The Spilde family might have some information. You could contact the Museum and maybe Cindy could help with descendants or would know someone in the Spilde family.

Hope this helps!

Marcy Johnson

Kittson County Historical Society and Museum

Cindy Adams, Director

332 East Main Street

Lake Bronson, MN 56734

e-mail: history@wiktel.com

phone: 218-754-4100

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Glenn Browne.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service