Kittson County Historical Society

Kittson profiles and photos from the past and present

In every family it seems certain information is questioned or disputed. Each bit of information should have a source to support it. Earlier I posted some photos and information that I obtained from the Museum in Lake Bronson. It was disputed and so I removed it. I plan to help the Museum re-check the information and determine the facts. More information to follow.
Because Andre (Andrew) Jerome was a Canadian, born in Manitoba, and played an important part in the early history of both Canada and the United States, I have been interested in him. More to the point, I am interested in the history that surrounds him. I recently gained access to the Axel Lindegard Journal/Diary that is handwritten and contains information and photos of the past.
It includes informaton on the early years of Hallock and Minnesota. Axel Lindegard was interested in a great deal of the history involving Pembina North Dakota, St. Vincent Minnesota and Emerson
Manitoba. The Lindegard Brothers had a store in Hallock for many years and also traded with the Indians. His handwritten Journal contains a treasure trove of information. It was in this Journal that I came across copies of the printed obituaries of Andre Jerome and his wife. They were both originaly printed in the Kittson County Enterprise. The Kittson County Historical Society has a very large collection of newspaper microfilm worth in excess of $10,000. It contains almost every copy of the old newspapers that once printed in the county, including the Kittsn County Enterprise.
I plan to search the microfilm for copies of the original Jerome obituaries. I can arrange to mail you a copy if you are interested, for a small fee of say $5.00 to $10.00, or what ever you can afford.
The Kittson Historical Society and Musem need financial help so checks should be made payable to them. Contact me through my page on this web site.
You will have noticed that Andre was many times reported as Andrew. His background was French Canadian and Indian. Andre is a French name but the newspaper Editor mistakenly changed it to Andrew. This is just one small example how the facts of a person's life get changed or modified. Typical family memories can be factually incorrect. I have opened the discussion page on Andre Jerome and his family with the idea that any questionable facts can be discussed and perhaps pursued to a creditable source. Do not hesitate to join in and express your thoughts. Glenn

Views: 161

Replies to This Discussion

The Census record of 1880 shows that Andre(w) Jerome and his family were the only people living in what is now called Hill Township of Kittson County. Andre, his wife, two daughters and seven sons were the total population of the township. I do not believe it had yet been name Hill Township at that point in time because it was named after James J. Hill (Railroad Baron) who later ended up owning seven or eight sections.
Andre was listed as 53 and his wife 49. He was actually about 43. The children listed were Margaret age 25, B. John age 24, Alexander age 23, Andrew and Martin, twins, age 21, Napoleon age 18, Samuel age 15, Roger age 12 and Angelic age 9. None of the children had been married at this point. The Census indicated that every one but Andrew could read and write English.
The Census asked the location of birth of each individual as well as the birth location of their mother and father. Andre’s father was shown as being born in France. Every other answer was shown as Minnesota which was incorrect. Andre and his wife were born in Canada as was Andre’s mother and both his wife’s parents. All the children except Angelic (Minnesota) were born in North Dakota. They should have shown that their parents were born in Canada. This is just one example of how the information in a Census cannot be taken as factual. Who knows the reason for the error. Perhaps the census taker was just lazy or made an assumption. Perhaps Andre did not wish to admit he and his wife were born it Canada as it might have caused him problems. At the time this census was made Andre has already applied for homestead rights to the property he lived on. Other records show he obtained the patent rights to this land on August 15th, 1884.
Since it took five years, he must have first applied August 15th, 1879. At the time of the census of June 1st 1880 he had already been on the land for fourteen months. He could have lived there for some time prior to making application for homestead rights but so far I have been unable to find any record. This 1880 Census record certainly substantiates that he was the first settler in Hill Township
My brother, Ed Jerome, Hallock has developed an extensive history of Andre Jerome and his family. While the Lindegard journal may have some information about my great-grandfather, Andre Jerome and his family, Ed can give you a family perspective based on historical documentation as well as personal stories shared by my dad, Ed Jerome Sr. With regard to Andre's name change to Andrew, isn't Andrew the Anglicanized Andre? Anyone out there know for sure? Also, the Jerome's are Metis.
There are many errors in what you've written. For example, Andre Jerome was born in 1829. His daughter was named Angelique (not Angelic). If you want complete correct information about the Andre Jerome family you should contact my brother Ed Jerome.

Glenn Browne said:
The Census record of 1880 shows that Andre(w) Jerome and his family were the only people living in what is now called Hill Township of Kittson County. Andre, his wife, two daughters and seven sons were the total population of the township. I do not believe it had yet been name Hill Township at that point in time because it was named after James J. Hill (Railroad Baron) who later ended up owning seven or eight sections.
Andre was listed as 53 and his wife 49. He was actually about 43. The children listed were Margaret age 25, B. John age 24, Alexander age 23, Andrew and Martin, twins, age 21, Napoleon age 18, Samuel age 15, Roger age 12 and Angelic age 9. None of the children had been married at this point. The Census indicated that every one but Andrew could read and write English.
The Census asked the location of birth of each individual as well as the birth location of their mother and father. Andre’s father was shown as being born in France. Every other answer was shown as Minnesota which was incorrect. Andre and his wife were born in Canada as was Andre’s mother and both his wife’s parents. All the children except Angelic (Minnesota) were born in North Dakota. They should have shown that their parents were born in Canada. This is just one example of how the information in a Census cannot be taken as factual. Who knows the reason for the error. Perhaps the census taker was just lazy or made an assumption. Perhaps Andre did not wish to admit he and his wife were born it Canada as it might have caused him problems. At the time this census was made Andre has already applied for homestead rights to the property he lived on. Other records show he obtained the patent rights to this land on August 15th, 1884.
Since it took five years, he must have first applied August 15th, 1879. At the time of the census of June 1st 1880 he had already been on the land for fourteen months. He could have lived there for some time prior to making application for homestead rights but so far I have been unable to find any record. This 1880 Census record certainly substantiates that he was the first settler in Hill Township
May I respectfully point out that had you taken the time to read all the information carefully you would have appreciated I obtained the dates and names from the 1880 Census. If there were any errors they were created by the census taker or by the Andre Jerome family that provided the information. In addition I refer you to the first sentence I wrote on this topic, "In every family it seems certain information is questioned or disputed. Each bit of information should have a source to support it." I did not create this web page in order to become the "whipping boy" for the Jerome family members who cannot agree on their family history.
The Jerome Family Group on this web page is an excellent forum to discuss the disagreements of the Jerome Family and at the same time provide the correct details along with copies of the source of the facts. If anyone disagrees with the information posted, let them submit their facts, supported by their source. I have personaly spent a number of hours talking with Ed Merck and with Ed Jerome and I found each of them to be proud members of the Jerome family. Each of them has gathered an amazing amount of family history that is supported by source evidence. I have found them both to be honest and intelligent men who wish to establish all the facts. There are many hundreds of members involved in the Jerome family and many thousands of facts to be delt with. The Jerome family should be very proud to have these two men who have spent countless hours gathering together the family records. They agree on at least ninty percent of the story. Lets deal with the remaining ten percent item by item. Any family would be proud to have just one man called Ed that devoted a good part of their life to gathering the Jerome history. The two Eds have Jerome blood flowing in their veins and they are both on the same quest. The rest of the Jeromes need to appreicate the work these two men have accomplished and stop taking sides. Lets all work together to help establish any questionable information. I would be proud to be a member of the Jerome family who have contributed so much to the history of Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, North Dakota and Minnesota.
Glenn,
Of course, I realize the census information is not always correct. That's why whenever I have questions about our family I ask Ed Jerome (my brother). He is a meticulous researcher as well as having first hand knowledge passed down from my dad, Ed senior and other family members. Ed Jerome has published several historical articles on the Jerome family that are well worth reading for anyone interested in learning more about the family. With regard to Ed Merck, I'm sure his information is valuable and I admire what he's done. One thing you should consider is that when you create a public forum you can expect to hear from family members who know their history and want the history accurately published.

Glenn Browne said:
May I respectfully point out that had you taken the time to read all the information carefully you would have appreciated I obtained the dates and names from the 1880 Census. If there were any errors they were created by the census taker or by the Andre Jerome family that provided the information. In addition I refer you to the first sentence I wrote on this topic, "In every family it seems certain information is questioned or disputed. Each bit of information should have a source to support it." I did not create this web page in order to become the "whipping boy" for the Jerome family members who cannot agree on their family history.
The Jerome Family Group on this web page is an excellent forum to discuss the disagreements of the Jerome Family and at the same time provide the correct details along with copies of the source of the facts. If anyone disagrees with the information posted, let them submit their facts, supported by their source. I have personaly spent a number of hours talking with Ed Merck and with Ed Jerome and I found each of them to be proud members of the Jerome family. Each of them has gathered an amazing amount of family history that is supported by source evidence. I have found them both to be honest and intelligent men who wish to establish all the facts. There are many hundreds of members involved in the Jerome family and many thousands of facts to be delt with. The Jerome family should be very proud to have these two men who have spent countless hours gathering together the family records. They agree on at least ninty percent of the story. Lets deal with the remaining ten percent item by item. Any family would be proud to have just one man called Ed that devoted a good part of their life to gathering the Jerome history. The two Eds have Jerome blood flowing in their veins and they are both on the same quest. The rest of the Jeromes need to appreicate the work these two men have accomplished and stop taking sides. Lets all work together to help establish any questionable information. I would be proud to be a member of the Jerome family who have contributed so much to the history of Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, North Dakota and Minnesota.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Glenn Browne.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service